Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blah this stinks

I have finally got over the bridge of being hungry to the point where I feel sick.  Last night was a good night of sleep but my stomach hates me again.  I do like the fact that it is easier on my wallet but I can't stand that people at work talk about food all the time.  Next week will be tough because I have to bring in breakfast to everyone.  So that will be interesting.

The one thing that I was a bit skeptical on when I first did this were all the claims of detoxing.  I do not know  how true any of that is but I do have to say after about two days you do feel different and I do not mean the hunger.  Your skin feels better, you feel a little lighter on your feet and you are wide awake.  So maybe there is a little something into detoxing.  I tend to look at it as you are not putting anything unnatural in your system and your body is responding to natural fruits and vegetables.  Don't get me wrong I still love meat and I was thinking about pork chops all morning but right now I feel so much better than I normally do.  I cannot wait to rush home and go for a walk with the dog.

But lets be honest.  What is three days.  After two weeks that is when you really start to go into a mental game with yourself about wanting food.  If anyone ever wants to try juice fasting they should only shoot for a long weekend or at most a five day week.  People in general love to talk about food so being away from conversations is a must.  I can't wait to leave work because the guys here just can't seem to stop talking about their lunch or what they are going to eat tomorrow.  We are sad in that we eat as recreation and not as a need for health and well being.

3 comments:

  1. I know that you are not in your right mind at the moment so I won't jump too hard on this:

    "We are sad in that we eat as recreation and not as a need for health and well being."

    But bullshit. That we can find joy and a chance for betterment in our every day needs is the heart of the good life. That is not to say that everything need be food that kills you in three weeks.

    Anyway, keep on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point. You are right there is a good deal of joy in a nice meal. I think the problem I see more often is that we go beyond satisfying our need to eating for the sport of eating. I don't mean competition eating but I know I will eat to just satisfy a want at times. I guess though in our western culture we have so much to choose from that we make eating entertainment at times. Compare that to people who struggle to find a days meal and your perspective changes somewhat. However I get your point.

      Delete
    2. But eating can be entertainment. That we have more avenues available to us is something to be celebrated not tut-tutted. Choice and attention are good things.

      I think the real problem with the American diet is that we don't pay attention to what we eat. We don't see what is healthy and what can be prepared well. We just grab convienence foods and things in crinkly bags and then wonder why we are all on blood pressure meds and our glucose levels look like some clever analogy that goes up and down a lot, seemingly at random.

      Further, that people in other places cannot enjoy the same things is a non sequitur--they can't enjoy many things but that is their fault for being born there. Do the right things not just what is available to peasants in Southern Sudan.

      I remain,
      Andy, your personal troll service

      Delete